Discover the possible grants that are available to you for your home upgrade.

Grants and Eligible Upgrades 2023

The government is investing £12 billion in Help to Heat schemes to make sure homes are warmer and cheaper to heat. This includes the Boiler Upgrade Scheme, Local Authority Delivery Scheme (Sustainable Warmth Competition), Home Upgrade Grant (Sustainable Warmth Competition), Social Housing Decarbonisation Fund (SHDF) and Energy Company Obligation (ECO). This funding is not delivered directly by the government, but through installers, local authorities, energy companies and other bodies.

Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS)

Scheme Name Scheme Description Values How to Apply
Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS)

You can get one grant per property. You’re eligible for a grant if all the following are true. You must:

- own the property you’re applying for (including if it’s a business, a second home, or a property you rent out to tenants)
- have installed (or plan to install) your new heating system on or after 1 April 2022
- be replacing fossil fuel heating systems (such as oil, gas or electric)
- You’re still eligible if you’ve already had funding to make your property more energy efficient, for example by insulating it.Your property must have a valid Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) with no outstanding recommendations for loft or cavity wall insulation.

Grants are available for:

- £5,000 towards an air source heat pump
- £6,000 towards a ground source heat pump (including water source heat pumps and those on shared ground loops)
- £5,000 towards a biomass boiler
- You cannot get a grant for a hybrid heat pump system (for example a combination of gas boiler and air source heat pump). The system you install must meet certain standards, such as minimum efficiency levels (your installer can advise you on these). The system’s maximum capacity must be less than 45kWth - anything over is not eligible. 
Apply through Government website

Sustainable Warmth Competition

Scheme Name Scheme Description Values How to Apply
Sustainable Warmth Competition
Scheme for low-income households off the gas grid

- Phase 1 (HUG1): application closed; projects to be delivered by 31 March 2023

- Phase 2 (HUG2): application currently open until 27 Jan 2023; £700 million of funding for period of 2023/24 to 2024/25
Apply through Government website

Social Housing Decarbonisation Fund (SHDF)

Scheme Name Scheme Description Values How to Apply
Social Housing Decarbonisation Fund (SHDF)
The Social Housing Decarbonisation Fund (SHDF) will upgrade a significant amount of the social housing stock currently below Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) C up to that standard. It will support the installation of energy performance measures in social homes in England.

- local authorities
- combined authorities
- registered providers of social housing
- registered charities that own social housing
- all existing social housing properties as defined by the Housing and Regeneration Act 2008 (sections 68-70), below EPC C.

Apply through Government website

Energy Company Obligation (ECO)

Scheme Name Scheme Description Values How to Apply
Energy Company Obligation (ECO)
Currently on ECO4 - administratered by Ofgem - a 4-year scheme and intended to run from 1 April 2022 to 31 March 2026.

You might be able to get help for energy-saving improvements to your home if you either:
- claim certain benefits and live in private housing (for example you own your home or rent from a private landlord)
- live in social housing

You may get help with the cost of:
- insulation work, for example to your loft or cavity walls
- replacing or repairing your boiler
- or other upgrades to your heating.

You might be eligible for help if you live in private housing and get one of the following benefits:
- Child Tax Credit
- Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - Pension Guarantee Credit
- Pension Savings Credit
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Child Benefit
- Housing Benefit If you own your house, it must have an energy efficiency rating of D, E, F or G to be eligible.

If you rent from a private landlord, the house must have an energy efficiency rating of E, F or G to be eligible. You must have the owner’s permission to do the work.
Reach out to your provider to learn how much you are entitled to. 
Contact your local council to find
out if they’re taking part in the scheme,
or contact participating energy suppliers
directly. Details can be found on Ofgem


Scheme Name Scheme Description Values How to Apply
The scheme is expected to start in April 2023 and should cover energy efficiency measures for more than 70,000 homes.  

The £1 billion ECO Plus Grants fund will be managed by energy suppliers just as the Affordable Warmth Scheme is. Government ministers will consult on plans to make grants available to householders in homes where the council tax band is A, B, C or D.

The Scheme aims to make homes more energy efficient& bring down people’s energy bills by helping insulate homes.
 Targets are:
- lowest incomes households    
- houses with EPC rating of D or below    
- those in low council tax bands    
- those not currently benefitting from any other government support to upgrade homes.
Reach out to your provider to learn how much you are entitled to. 
Apply directly to your energy provider.

Extra Support Schemes

Scheme Name Scheme Description Values How to Apply

British Gas Support Fund

BG is donating 10% of its profits, or around £12 million, to help its poorest customers with higher energy bills.

An one-off grant, to be eligible: 

- you need to be in fuel poverty and have less than £1,000 in savings.

- fuel poverty means over 10% of your household income is spent on energy costs.

Grants value range between £250 and £750, depending on the assessment.

Apply through British Gas Website


Certain Charities and Energy Suppliers offer support schemes and grants to people.

It is worth checking with your Local Authority, your Energy Firm and Citizen’s Advice website to see what is available.

Citizen’s Advice website